Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Great Gallery and Store in South Florida

If you live in South Florida or are one of the many inhabitants of cold weather locales and migrate south to defrost and get sun during the winter, you must visit Tates Comics in Lauderhill
. I finally ventured down to the store, which is just west of Fort Lauderdale, hoping to pick up a few little holiday gifts for my cool little guy. I didn't expect the sheer awesomeness of the store! As the name implies, there is a vast amount of comics (which I know nothing about) and everything related to comics. It had every action figure related to any comic. Manga. Amazing books (I love cool books!) Collectible vinyl and blind box figures. Funky plush. And a large selection of Japanese snacks (the have snack tasting events - how cool is that?!) And videos. The owners are so friendly and knowledgeable - I asked to see if they had an obscure action figure that my son wanted and they did. And when I talked to him a little bit about my guy and his interests he steered me to a new Godzilla DVD that will be a big hit at the holidays!

Upstairs is the Bear and Bird gallery. They have art show and carry unique gift items and artist-made jewelry. There happened to be a show going on called Small Stuff - small scale artwork from both local and national artists that were available for purchase and affordable.

I finished my holiday shopping for my son at Tates and was able to find some terrific gifts for others, too. Did I mention the Tara McPherson Dunny that I bought for myself for my living room mantle?

No comments: