Sunday, January 25, 2009

Indie Crafting in South Florida (Finally)

Only in South Florida will you see women in breezy, funky dresses in flip flops strolling into a gallery in January. But that is why we live here. It was a beautiful weekend and I was happy to finally make it to a Stitch Bird craft workshop. A favorite of mine, Bear and Bird Gallery, located west of Fort Lauderdale, holds craft workshops once a month. Past projects have included decoupage objects, sock monkeys, and Halloween makeup fx, and I have never been able to make it due to one thing or another. This month I signed up and made sure I was able to show up on time and make some cool beaded necklaces. We created bases and wired buttons, beads, and other fun things to create these wearable works of art.
I feel mine are just okay - I didn't put a lot of planning into the pieces - I was just happy to be out crafting in a creative group environment with like minded individuals. The gallery also has a terrific exhibit up this month, titled 'Three of a Kind'.
They have great themed shows with some known artists and wonderful pieces! Such a nice afternoon!

Finally, my little (big) Tankster had a nice afternoon. We had to get out of our house to show it yesterday and for obviious reasons take the dogs with us. Tank came to my boys' soccer game and had a ball. When he got home he went out back to enjoy the Florida sunshine. While he couldn't get the float in the pool, he did the next best thing and used it as a pillow.

No comments: